Monday, August 25, 2008

More book reviews: 6 thumbs-up and a raspberry

Forty people have agreed to blog about At His Command during the month of August, and I'm thanking them by linking to their posts. Here are some snippets from the latest batch (click on the links to read the reviews in their entirety):

Weston Elliott, after admitting to being no fan of romance novels, writes: "...I would highly recommend this book, and here's why:

"It is clean - no smut - but there is a really great kiss! It is a romance, after all!

"It is religious - but not preachy. It shows the simplicity of living the faith one believes as a straight-forward part of life, without trying to explain why or convice anyone. I, personally, loved that!

"The characters are real - stubborn, faulty, and true to life."

Martha Rogers writes: "Brenda Coulter has given us a wonderful love story of two people who are considered heroes in the eyes of others, but both have doubts about that.... This is a great read."

Anne Greene says: "Along with a top-notch story, Brenda gives the reader interesting peeks into the life of an Army nurse and a helicopter pilot. Having a strong army background myself I can vouch for Brenda's authenticity. Brenda's characters live, breathe, and overcome real situations. The topic is serious, but the writing is funny and keeps the reader glued to the story to the very last word."

Laura Hilton writes: "I enjoyed getting to know Maddie and Jake, and watch as their relationship moved forward. Tied together by an orphaned boy with a heart problem caused by a bomb that killed his mom, Ali is a sweetheart and both Maddie and Jake are instrumental in getting Ali the care he needs. Don’t miss AT HIS COMMAND. It is a winner."

Anita Reaves says: "Brenda Coulter has written an entertaining read. She starts off her book with a great hook... [and] continues her witty phrasing of words throughout the book. A truly enjoyable read."

Jessica Nelson writes: "What a sweet romance! The characters were immediately likeable and sympathetic. And though there are some painful moments in the book, Brenda balances them with a nice dose of humor. This is the first book of hers I've read and I really liked it. Not only was the characterization great (I could practically hear the Texas twangs) but she used lovely metaphors and her writing style is active and smooth. Plus, the first kiss . . . Actually, I think it was the second, but let's just say the first REAL kiss was great! I loved that scene."

Annette Irby didn't like the hero of At His Command. She writes, "...the way his resistance [to the heroine] came across was harsh. Personally, I felt he was too callous with Maddie several times in the story, so much so, that when the two leads finally reconciled the potential romance wasn’t believable because he didn’t seem repentant enough. I think if he’d given in to at least one instance where he felt compassion after pushing Maddie away, that would have helped."


Note to reviewing bloggers: If you want me to link to your post, please shoot me an e-mail to make sure I see your review.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's on my shopping list for tomorrow! Can't wait to read it.

Unknown said...

As far as the criticism that Jake was "too callous with Maddie...wasn't believable because he didn't seem repentant enough," that was a truly genuine part of the book. Too many books make a lame attempt to have 'conflict' between two people only to have them fall madly in love. As many people know, it is often a twisted road to marital bliss.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda. Can't please everyone, right? LOL

At His Command was amazing. I love books that show a rough character softening after experiencing Jesus.

Brenda Coulter said...

Can't please everyone, right?

Right. And the writer who tries to be all things to all readers is a fool. That's why I'm not thinking about my future audience at all when I'm writing. I see myself as a fairly typical reader, so I can't go wrong if what I write pleases me. I believe there are a lot of people who like the things I like, laugh at the things I laugh at, get misty-eyed over the same things that touch my heart. So as long as I'm happy with what I write, there will be lots of people who like my books.

And the people who don't like my books? How can their opinions wound me when I was never seeking their approval to begin with?

If that sounds arrogant, too bad. ;-) That kind of thinking is what has freed me to enjoy every aspect of the writing and publishing process.

Laura, Chad, and Sheri, thanks for the kind words.