Sunday, July 13, 2008

A beautiful mess in the garden

I've been happier with my front garden since I moved away from carefully coordinating shapes and colors and just started sticking plants in wherever I could find twelve inches of bare ground. Yes, I know it was "wrong" to plant cool blue delphiniums next to this big royal-blue pot of red, hot pink, and orange impatiens, but this quirky, colorful hodgepodge is true cottage-garden style.

The bench in the background, accessed by a flagstone path behind the fountain, is a great place to watch butterflies and daydream.

I used to hand-water many of the plants in this garden, which includes six rose bushes. Now I just connect the hose to this tall copper sprinkler, which spends its free time posing as garden art.

If you're still wondering why I haven't been blogging about writing lately, it's the garden's fault....

6 comments:

Anna Adams said...

Ohhhhh, pretty, Brenda! I love your garden photos. And I'm going to copy your gardening method now that we're allowed to water again.

Hope the birdie family is doing well.

And I hope the writing is going gangbusters!

Brenda Coulter said...

Anna, it's great to hear from you.

No update yet on the bird family. I haven't seen Mom on the nest in a couple of days, but the nest is too high up for me to look into...and I can't hear anything.

As for the writing, it's not exactly going "gangbusters", but it's coming along....
;-)

Janet Spaeth said...

Brenda, your garden is absolutely beautiful! I love it!

Will I see you in SF soon?

Jaen/Janet

Brenda Coulter said...

Sorry, Janet. For the first time since I joined in the spring of 2002, I'm giving the RWA conference a miss. One big conference a year is plenty for me, and I have always wanted to try the ACFW conference. I finally realized I'd never get around to it unless I skipped RWA, so...

Maybe if they weren't so close together, I'd do both of them. But I don't want to go to a major conference two months after a major conference.
;-)

Janet Spaeth said...

Well, SURPRISE, Brenda! You can't escape me that easily. I'll be at that conference too!

Can't wait to see you there!

Brenda Coulter said...

Oh, that's great! I'll look for you there.