Friday, January 11, 2008

My brain is Scrabbled

Grr. I just can't break 400.

This screenshot of my most recent game at Scrabulous.com shows that I trounced the robot 391-309, but I'm still not happy. I can usually manage to make a bingo in every game (you get 50 extra points for using all seven tiles in a single turn), but it looks like I'm going to have to score two bingos in order to break the 400-point ceiling.

In recent weeks I've found that playing a game against the robot at Scrabulous is a great way to take a short break from my writing. If you want to increase your vocabulary, improve your spelling, and otherwise exercise your brain, give it a try. Then come back here and brag about your high score. (No fair using the "hints" option, unless you're just learning the game.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for that link! I love scrabble and what a great way to pass a little time!

Anonymous said...

I am completely Scrabulous addicted (I play it with friends on Facebook, though I occasionally play the robot) but not anywhere near your league! A good game for me is if I break 300, and I rarely make bingos. But I am getting better -- I find that playing with better players (or the computer) greatly increases my skills!

Anonymous said...

I love Scrabble, but I hate playing with a computer, but he knows all the stupid little nothing words that nobody would know unless a) they were Scrabble addicts and owned a Scrabble dictionary in order to learn all those 2 letter words or weird Q words that don't require a 'U' or b) a linguistics expert of some kind.

I like fair. And fair ain't playing with bizarro words no normal, intelligent person would know. When is the last time you used 'xi' in a sentence of any kind?

Real people who are relatively smart are the best opponents. I don't find joy in the score. I find joy in the game itself. :-)

Unknown said...

Anonymous, that is so true--and the computer puts all those little nothing words hooked up to other nothing words that I would never be clever enough to figure to do :-)

Janet Spaeth said...

Uh-oh. I didn't know about this.

"DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!"

(Old time tv reference for you young'uns.)

I so totally do not need a new distraction on my computer, but I do love Scrabble....

(See you in July???)

Jaen/Janet

Brenda Coulter said...

See you in July???

Yes, Jaen, I'm looking forward to the RWA conference in San Francisco.