Friday, November 02, 2007

This blog is unsuitable for young children

According to The Blog Readability Test ("What level of education is required to understand your blog?") NRJW can be read by junior-high schoolers.

Goodness, no, I'm not embarrassed. This will make great ammunition for returning fire the next time some disgruntled reader accuses me of writing a blog post that doesn't make any sense. ("What? You don't understand a blog that's written at a junior high school reading level?")

Here's a sampling of some of the blogs I read regularly:

My pal Booksquare writes at the elementary school level.

Will at MSNBC's Clicked writes at my level. (That is, for junior high kids.)

It takes a high school student to read (my favorite blogger) Terry Teachout's About Last Night. Ditto, Ron and Sarah's Galleycat.

Joe Carter's The Evangelical Outpost is for college undergrads. That's not surprising, as once or twice I've had to look up words Joe has used in his posts. (I never finished college.)


How about your blog?

11 comments:

Teige Benson said...

Hmm - interesting link.

My blog comes up "Genius" - which is truly scary considering I find my writing style very simple.

Laura Vivanco said...

Teach Me Tonight comes up as "High School" level, which sounds about right.

Carolanne said...

Mine apparently comes up as "High School" level.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda! Is there a way people who don't have Microsoft Outlook can email you? I had a question about your tea page.

Sorry if this isn't the write spot to ask a question - I looked for a guestbook or something, but couldn't find one. I'll check back here for a response.

Thanks!
Heather

Robin Bayne said...

Mine comes up "elementary," but several recent posts are actually reviews written by publishers! LOL I will have to try another time.

Brenda, got your new book and love the holiday cover! Saving it for a December read : )

Penny said...

I think that readability thing must be a random thing, because my blog also came up Genius, and it most definitely isn't.

Nell Dixon said...

Mine is elementary level which is great as it means more people can read it.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Hmmm. Mine says "High School". I'm actually surprised at that. :)

Brenda Coulter said...

A friend just e-mailed me and asked why her blog was getting a "genius" rating. I don't know. The page doesn't include any information on how blogs are evaluated. And if you're a skeptic like me, you've already noticed that the code for adding the "readability level" badge to your blog contains an advertising link.

So let's not take this too seriously, folks.

Heather, you can find me here: mail@brendacoulter.com

Robin, thanks for buying my book. I hope you like it.

EelKat said...

one of my blogs came up as Junior High and one came up as high school

Anonymous said...

My sister's blog, which I help write (when I'mnot writing my book) is for College Undergrads. Weird. She's almost 15.