Monday, October 29, 2007

Run for the roses

After dinner last night, my hunk o' burnin' love warned me that the weather forecast was calling for an overnight freeze. I immediately grabbed my clippers and headed out to the garden to gather one last bouquet of roses for my office. I'll have fresh flowers and flowering plants over the winter, but I won't have any more of my own roses to cut until next June, and that's always a sad thought.

Apparently, one of the David Austin Heritage roses I cut was severely depressed, because when I entered my office this morning I found that it had committed suicide by dropping all of its petals.

This guy over by the window appears to be thinking about ending it all, too.

Ah, well. At least the African violet is blooming.

2 comments:

Teige Benson said...

Perhaps I should have picked a better day to visit. I've been known as a plant killer for quite some time.

Great blog by the way.

Brenda Coulter said...

Warmest thanks, Teige. Thanks for visiting.

And by the way, I often kill indoor plants by forgetting to water them. I have three African violets that have learned to thrive despite my abuse, but my usual practice is to buy a plant, enjoy it until I accidentally kill it, and then go buy a new one.