Wednesday, July 11, 2007

RWA Dallas: I'm already tired

It's nearly midnight here in Dallas, and I'm beat. But I didn't want to let the day go without blogging, so here are some quick notes:

Early yesterday evening, my sister picked me up at the airport and we enjoyed an early dinner at The Oceanaire. We loved the shrimp and crabmeat cocktails, the fried green tomatoes, and the stuffed halibut. (Note to the pastry chef: Your key lime pie was delightfully tart, but remember that a little gelatin goes a long way.)

This is my sixth RWA conference, so arriving at the hotel was a little like showing up at a family reunion. After I checked in at the front desk, I didn't even make it to the elevator lobby before seven or eight people had grabbed me for hugs. Now my sister thinks I'm famous.

Today's Faith, Hope & Love mini-conference was fun and inspiring. My second book was up for the Inspirational Readers Choice Contest, but didn't win. (I'm taking home a certificate for third place in my category.)

After the mini-conference I picked up my registration packet for the main conference, which begins tomorrow. I've already reviewed my schedule for the next couple of days, and it's pretty much as I posted yesterday.

My hotel room is nothing special, but there's a lovely lavendar-scented soap in the bathroom, so I am going to have very clean hands for the rest of this week.

The free books are already beginning to stack up in my room. I have nine so far, and will probably take home three times that number. Good thing I wised up this year and brought two suitcases instead of one.

I found out today that the RWA website has just been revamped. Check it out. One great new feature will be the live coverage of this Saturday's RITA and Golden Heart awards ceremony. The winners will be posted as they are announced. Very nice for those who can't be here but are hungry for news.

That's it for me. Look for more tomorrow.

No comments: