Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My RWA conference schedule

As I've mentioned before, there are so many opportunities at the RWA conference that it's just not possible to do everything. Most of the writers I know go through their conference materials beforehand, noting workshops and other events they want to attend. Then they schedule appointments and lunches with agents, editors, and friends. Going to the conference with a tentative schedule in hand makes everything a lot easier.

Here's my plan, which I'll refine after I get to Dallas:

TUESDAY
5:30PM
My sister's picking me up at the airport. We're going somewhere fun for dinner, so I'll probably check into the hotel late tonight.


WEDNESDAY
7:30AM
Breakfast with a writer friend.

9:00AM-3:00PM
Faith, Hope & Love (RWA's inspirational chapter) mini-conference: includes workshops, luncheon, awards presentation, annual general meeting, and worship service. My second book, A Family Forever, is up for the Inspirational Readers' Choice Award.

After the mini-conference ends, I'll pick up my registration materials for the main conference and go to my room to look everything over and add to this schedule.

5:30-7:30
RWA's Literacy Autographing. More than 400 authors will be signing books in a ballroom, with the proceeds to benefit adult literacy programs. I'm not signing this year, so I'll cruise the tables and say hi to some friends. Maybe buy a book or two.

7:45
About a dozen Steeple Hill authors are getting together in someone's suite. I think we're planning to send out for pizza.


THURSDAY
7:00AM
Steeple Hill Community (one of the e-Harlequin boards) breakfast.

12:15PM-2:00
Luncheon (Lisa Kleypas speaking)

4-5:00
Steeple Hill authors and editors meeting in the Harlequin Suite

6-7:00
Welcome reception. This usually includes some very nice appetizers and desserts, which means I'll probably graze for a while and forget about going out to dinner afterwards.

9:00-12
eHarlequin's annual pajama party. Some people (not me) actually do wear pajamas.


FRIDAY
7:30AM
Breakfast buffet. Unless I've arranged to meet friends, I like to sit down at an empty table and see who shows up.

10 -11:30
Some 40 Harlequin/Silhouette/Steeple Hill authors will be giving away free autographed books. I've promised some friends I'd drop by to lend moral support, but I think they're going to be swamped.

11:00-12
Workshop on websites. I'm thinking about this one. Maybe I need to brush up.

12:15
Lunch with my editor.

3-5:00
RITA & GH finalists' reception. (Woo-hoo! I'm a RITA finalist!)

Sometime in the afternoon, my hunk o' burnin' love will arrive in Dallas. This is our 32nd wedding anniversary.

8:00-midnight
The famous Harlequin party for authors and editors. Always glitzy, with great food and free drinks. My husband will be attending for the first time. (Yes, dear, you must wear a suit. It won't kill you.)


SATURDAY
7:30AM-8:30
Breakfast buffet.

8:30-9:30
Workshop on Randy Ingermanson's Snowflake Method. Maybe.

11:00-noon
Workshop on book marketing.

12:15-2:00
Luncheon (Lisa Jackson speaking).

2:30-3:00
Awards ceremony rehearsals. (Woo-hoo! I'm a RITA finalist!)

6:00
Special dinner with my hunk o' burnin' love.

8:00-10
Awards ceremony. (Woo-hoo! I'm a RITA finalist!) I'm wearing a black dress with ruffles all over, and some showy, sparkly jewelry. I'm so glad that my husband will be there. (Yes, dear, you must wear your tuxedo. It won't kill you.)

10-12:00
Dessert reception. Win or lose, I'll be having champagne and chocolate!


SUNDAY
12:00 noon
I kick off my vacation with brunch at my sister's house in Dallas. More on those plans later.


And that's it for me today--I'm heading to the airport. Everybody have a Tuesday, and I'll blog at you again sometime tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Sounds like SO much fun!

Have a great time!

Brenda Coulter said...

Thanks, Jennifer. It's going very well here in Dallas.