Monday, March 07, 2005

His words are lovely, dark and deep

Garrison Keillor writes in today's The Writer's Almanac that "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening", published on this day in 1923, was Robert Frost's favorite among his own poems.

Mine, too. Yes, I like it even better than "The Road Not Taken".

"My best bid for rememberance," Frost called the poem. Keillor says:


Though it's a poem about winter, Frost wrote the first draft on a warm morning in the middle of June. The night before he had stayed up working at his kitchen table on a long, difficult poem called "New Hampshire" (1923). He finally finished it, and then looked up and saw that it was morning. He'd never worked all night on a poem before. Feeling relieved at the work he'd finished, he went outside and watched the sunrise.

While he was outside, he suddenly got an idea for a new poem. So he rushed back inside his house and wrote "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" in just a few minutes. He said he wrote most of the poem almost without lifting his pen off the page. He said, "It was as if I'd had a hallucination."


Yeah. I wish I could "hallucinate" like that, don't you?

This short entry is all I have time for today because "I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep."

No comments: