Saturday, May 28, 2011

Going digital

This past week my publisher released a digital version of my long-out-of-print first book, Finding Hope (Love Inspired, 2003) in all of the major e-book formats. I figured that in a week or two, I'd get around to doing some low-key promotion for it. You know, make an announcement here on the blog, and so on. But to my surprise, the book has been selling itself quite well (at least at Amazon's Kindle Store, which is the only one I watch.)

I can't explain that. My 2006 release, A Family Forever, was digitized earlier this year, also without promotion, but that one hasn't taken off (again, I'm talking about the Kindle Store). In my opinion, A Family Forever is the better book. But like so much else in publishing, what sells and what doesn't and why is a mystery to me.

With this latest release, all four of my Love Inspired books have now been digitized. I'm happy about that because I'm tired of apologizing to readers for the paperbacks being out of print and unavailable except from resellers at Amazon, eBay, and the like. From here on out, I will suggest to interested readers that they simply download my e-books. After all, it's not necessary to have an e-reader as long as you have a computer. PC users, for example, can snag Amazon's free app, Kindle for PC. (It's a quick and easy download. Get that and one of my books and you can be reading in less than five minutes.)

My other two books, A Season of Forgiveness and At His Command, were released simultaneously as mass-market paperbacks and e-books in 2007 and 2008, respectively, so they've been out for a good while now. I just mention them so everyone can round out their collections. (Who, me? Humble? Not in the least.)

Perhaps you've noticed that all of these highlighted titles will take you to the books' Amazon Kindle pages. Yes, I'm an Amazon affiliate, but I make only pennies on these referrals, so that's not my motivation. It's just that I'm a longtime Amazon customer and fan, and this keeps things simple for me. Of course the novels are available at Barnes and Noble and at all kinds of other e-book stores.

Less than two months from now, I plan to release a brand-new novel as an e-book. It'll be similar in tone to my Love Inspired books, but quite a bit longer. And it'll feature a rock-star hero, which is the reason Love Inspired declined to publish it. (Don't fault my editor: market research has shown that many of the older Love Inspired readers just aren't sympathetic to famous heroes such as actors, pro-sports players... and rock stars.) But you'll be hearing more about that book here on the blog very soon, trust me.

6 comments:

jel said...

got your e-mail, the other day,
saying your still around ,

I was glad to hear that you are still kicking! :)

I loved your first book!!!!

Brenda Coulter said...

Yeah, I'm still kicking. And it was sweet of you to post. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Finding Hope is my favorite book that you have written. There was something so poignant about it and just touched me deeply.

Brenda Coulter said...

Aw. What a nice thing to post here. Warmest thanks.

Anonymous said...

I came across your book, Finding Hope Kindle edition yesterday, and finished it in one night! It is one of the best books I have read in a very long time. I am very excited to find that you have written other books,and can't wait to dig in. I loved your dialogue, and found myself giggling at 3am, (to my husband's annoyance) not being able to put the book down. I was glad to find your blog. You are very inspiring!

Brenda Coulter said...

Sorry, 1sttimemomm, but I didn't see your comment until just now. I hope you see this reply!

Thanks so much for your kind words about my writing. It was sweet of you to take the time to comment here.