Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve thoughts

I believe it really happened, just as the Bible says. The Holy Spirit moved, and a virgin conceived a child. So tonight and tomorrow while I'm sitting by the fire opening presents and hugging my kids and laughing with my husband and eating these cookies and listening to The Nutcracker and Messiah over and over (because it's only once a year), I will bear in mind that the reason for all of this feasting, all of this gift-giving, all of this gathering together of loved ones is that a virgin called Mary actually conceived a child by the power of God.

And what a child He was! Fully God, yet also fully human. He grew up and taught and suffered and died...and then he conquered death. He lives now, and He is with me always. And when my earthly life is over, I will be with Him--forever.

I believe it really happened, just as the Bible says. I hope you believe it, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do, too. Although sometimes it amazes me that I would believe such an incredible thing, when I'm usually not very trusting. Merry Christmas!!

Sesselja said...

I certainly don't. But that doesn't stop me enjoying both Yuletide and your blog.:)

Brenda Coulter said...

Thank you, Sesselja. You're very welcome here.

Trudy, I'm having a lovely Christmas. Hope you are, too.