Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy endings

One of the great things about reading and writing romance novels is knowing that no matter what goes wrong in the story world, emotional justice will be served by the novel's end. So I smiled just now when I came across this:

Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery. I quit such odious subjects as soon as I can, impatient to restore every body, not greatly in fault themselves, to tolerable comfort, and to have done with all the rest.

--Jane Austen, Mansfield Park


Have a great weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

Oh... well said!! Thanks for sharing.

Sara said...

Having experienced comments to my own creative writing such as "sweet" "romantic" and "wish happy endings were real," I found some solace in arriving at your site and reading the quote from Jane Austen.

I don't particularly like reading depressing stories or those that intentionally seek to shock me with some horrible, unexpected ending. Life does that anyway for many of us.

When I read,I want to escape and I want my characters to struggle, but persevere through their struggles and find their way out.

It is one reason I like historical romances. They are happy books and that makes them also.healthy books.

I'm really glad I found your site today. I needed to read that quote and I thank you for sharing it:~)