Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Bad blogging

According to Darren Rowse over at ProBlogger, your first 10,000 blog posts are your worst. He continues:

Like anything - blogging is something that the majority of us are not brilliant at in our early days. I look back at some of the posts I wrote in my first year of blogging and shudder with embarrassment. The mistakes were spectacular and frequent.


I just checked my post count on Blogger and was disappointed to find that since December 27, 2004, I have logged only 807 entries here at NRJW. At this rate, it will be years and years before I write my ten-thousandth entry and get all of my worst posts behind me.

It's no good telling me Darren was speaking metaphorically because the damage is done: I'm already doubting my abilities as a blogger. All this time, I thought I was doing okay. But what if I really stink at this and I'm the only one who doesn't know it? Goodness, I could be the William McGonagall of blogging!

Way to ruin my afternoon, Darren.

7 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

*snort*

And here I was, all proud I hit 1,000 posts the other day.

Looks like I've got a LONG way to go!

:-)

Shauna said...

LOL! You're doing just fine. Better than 'fine' actually.

The statistics don't apply to you and let me tell you why. I'd like to refer you to this page,

http://brendacoulter.com/BrendaCoulterDiary.htm

where you can read all about an extraordinary woman who sold her first-try-ever novel to a major publishing house. That doesn't happen very often.

So, you see? You're not normal...er, I meant that in the nice way. ;-)

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I read somewhere (and maybe it was even here, lol) that even in our blogs, as writers, we should be very careful about what we post - that is about spelling, grammar, etc. because potential publishers might check them (the blogs) out and get some sort of idea that our manuscripts might contain the same sort of mistakes. At least I think that' what it said...something to that effect anyway.

Brittanie said...

I love your blog! That man is nuts! :)

Anonymous said...

Being a (lurker) is that a real word?)lol, regarding your blog, I have learned so much, so yes what you have to say is worth reading! Blessings and have a GOD day!
Bella

DebMc said...

I met a woman from a New York publishing house who said she really didn't want to see an author's first book, nor the second. What she wanted to see was the author's third book. By that time, she explained, an author has proven he or she can complete a work and learned the ropes of writing.

I love your blog. Keep on keeping on with the wit, wisdom, and humor. I'm reading!

Brenda Coulter said...

You people are so nice. Thanks for all the kind words.

Shelley, I don't believe I've ever addressed anything like that here on NRJW, but I do know of one editor who was very interested in the blog of a writer friend of mine and who then bought a romance novel from her.

Yes, Bella, lurker is a word.
;-)

Deb, that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a publishing professional say. Would she really have rejected Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook?