Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Reading big books in little bites

From yesterday's Washington Post:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Never had time to read "Moby Dick" and want something weightier than spam to read on your Blackberry on the way to work?

A new Web site is offering to send classic books in bite-size installments to your handheld device or e-mail every morning before you go to work, or whenever you want, for free.

The e-mails from www.dailylit.com are designed to be read in under five minutes.


Sounds like a fun idea--for other people. For me, a daily five-minute reading from a really good book would be like Chinese water torture.

6 comments:

Shauna said...

LOL! I'm with you Brenda. I can't count the number of times I've stayed up reading all night. There are just some books that I HAVE to know the ending of before I can close my eyes.

And five minutes?? That's not even enough time to get into the story.

Marianne Arkins said...

I've been known to buy all the books in a series... waiting for them to come out... before starting to read. I do that with Nora when she releases her trilogies every year.

I can't imagine getting snippets like that. Though, our society does have a short attention span as a rule, so this may be the wave of the future.

Isn't that sad?

Ramblin Regina said...

I've always read books in little bites..........it's called keeping a book on the back of the toilet.

Adam E. Luther said...

Let's see, at that rate and font size how long would it take to read Moby Dick?

Brenda Coulter said...

Monday's reading:
Call

Tuesday's reading:
me

Wednesday's reading:
Ishmael.

Subscription cancelled on Thursday.

Shauna said...

ROTFLOL! Brenda, you slay me!