Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A garden always forgives

Where are the garden pictures? several of you have asked. I appreciate your interest, but my garden is not terribly photogenic at this time of year.

I'm not a big fan of sunny, 90-degree days, so I don't spend much time in my garden during the month of August. I'll go out there to water the potted annuals (that is, unless I can sweet-talk my hunk o' burnin' love into doing it for me), but in general, I don't do any work during the hottest part of the summer.

I don't feel guilty about not keeping up appearances because the purpose of my garden is to please me, not to impress the neighbors. So we have a deal, the flowers and I. I don't have to tend them in August and they don't have to look good. Come September, we'll pick up where we left off. I'll get all of my darlings groomed and I'll have flowers to enjoy (mums and anemones and things) well into November. But right now, it's looking pretty scrubby out there.

I just thought I ought to set the record straight because so many of you appear to believe I'm some kind of gardening wonder. I'm not. Especially not in August.

Technorati Tags:

5 comments:

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

LOL...those of us who love you dearly, understand and can recite, your track record with living greenery! LOL

Domino said...

I completely agree. When it's hot, stay inside. I look out the windows to see flowers. It's cooler that way.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I'm with you on the heat thing. I absolutely do NOT like the hot weather. Maybe it's my aversion to short shorts and teeny, tiny tank tops, but when the weather's boiling, I find a nice cool place to hibernate!

Now, no offense to those of you who do like shorts and tanks. It's just that there are those who can pull it off and those who can't. I fit in the latter category. And I'm not confident enough to say, "To h*** with what people think." *shrug* I just prefer jeans and sweaters. LOL!

Here's to autumn!
Shauna

Pilgrim said...

That makes me feel better. Mine is looking really ratty. I dumped the hanging baskets today. It's kind of wasteful to pour water on flowers in August.

Brenda Coulter said...

Too true, Julana. The water evaporates almost before it hits the dirt. ;-)

I've had enough of summer. Like William and Shauna, I'm looking forward to jacket weather.