Monday, September 05, 2005

My bike boy

I haven't blogged all weekend because Number One Son bummed a ride home with friends and has been hangin' with the fam for the past two days. Here he is with his track bike—note the sexy pink rims. This is his four-season transportation between work, home, and school in downtown Chicago, and he has the same legal right to use the streets that car drivers do. But he's had two wrecks (both times the drivers were at fault), the most recent of which left him with two broken ribs, so his mom worries . . . .

In the second photo he's doing a one-handed track stand, quite a balancing feat. You'll just have to trust me when I tell you the bike wasn't moving at all.

He's on his way back to Chicago now. If any of you see this bike in the Loop, I'd appreciate it your giving it a wide berth.


4 comments:

Neal said...

Brenda, I understand where you're coming from. Part of my daily commute is on a bike, and it never ceases to amaze me how little consideration car drivers give to cyclists (who, as you say, have just as much right on the road). I even know of one van that deliberately passes cyclists to closely, if they choose to use the road rather than the parallel, badly maintained, gritty and glassy, cycle path. Don't get me started. Safe journey for your son (though I have to say I'm not keen on the wheels).

Brenda Coulter said...

So you object to those pink rims, huh, Neal? ;-)

I realize cyclists are sometimes difficult to see on the road, and I know that some cyclists do stupid, dangerous things. But I am continually amazed by the animosity some motorists display toward cyclists. As you say, some drivers do try to scare bike riders and brush them off the road. I see it all the time when I'm driving, and it's downright scary.

Anonymous said...

Tristan, not all people who drive pickup truck are boneheads,
I would say something about spandex, but your mom would kick my backside, ;-D
and glad you made it back home
ja

Anonymous said...

I like spandex a lot. Spandex ain't too happy with my cellulite, but that's its problem. ; )

Be safe, Young Coulter Lad. :D
Mir