Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Trouble with men

It's a dreary, rainy day and several men are giving me trouble. First, I'm struggling to make a fight scene (somebody is resisting arrest) more realistic in my WIP. Then there's Number Two Son, in the next room playing Beck (the haunting, depressing "Sea Change") so loud every window in the house is rattling. ("Turn it down!" I bellowed. "But it's Beck!" he shouted back at me.) So I came online to check my e-mail and found some cranky guy telling me what an idiot I am and suggesting that I rename this blog, "No rules. Just tripe." (Okay, that did deserve a laugh.) And then I read this e-mail from my Number One Son, who is supposed to be grateful for all I have done for him in the past 23 years, beginning with giving him birth:
I discovered more good music - Townes Van Zandt.

Why did you let me go through life not knowing about this guy?

And there you have it, folks. The reason I am unfazed by nasty e-mails from strangers is that all of my energy is required to defend myself from oppression by my own children. Long before I was failing to please all of my blog readers all of the time I was striking out in the Good Mother game. So I'm sorry, cranky blog readers, but you people are a dime a dozen and you're just the tiniest blips on my radar screen.

Tristan, I apologize for failing to provide you with the complete musical education you deserved. Yes, I did follow the Texas troubadours in my younger days (Oh! I don't think I ever told you about Jerry Jeff Walker, either) and "Pancho and Lefty" (Van Zandt's version, not Willie's) was always a favorite of mine. I really should have shared that with you.

5 comments:

Robyn said...

I'm with you, sister. Since both of mine are in middle school now, and are obviously learning to think critically, every answer to their questions is met with a raised eyebrow and an "Are you sure?"

Not their teachers, you understand. Just me.

Kate said...

Hi Brenda!
Just wanted to let you know I enjoy reading your blog. The No Rules, just tripe did make me smile though!
I don't understand why some people feel the need to attack bloggers. They obviously don't have enough work/hobbies/interests to amuse them.
And good luck with all the men you are having to deal with!
Katie

Brenda Coulter said...

Thanks, Katie.

Robyn, isn't it delicious to think that someday their kids will do it to them? I just hope we're around to see it!

Tristan, don't drive like your brother. See you soon. XOXOX.

Anonymous said...

The music thing...yet another reason Tristan should come to Texas more often. (what happened to the August trip?)

There was a time (yes, I am that old!) when you could see Townes Van Zandt in Austin.

Anonymous said...

Just a suggestion -Why don’t you encourage them to join the national guards? They desperately need more recruits (we need them here badly enough and in Iraq) and the benefits you get are very good. Also, the screening are not so rigid now, so it is easier to get in. It will be a good discipline for them. And very character forming. Plus, they get to play with real guns (it’s certainly a fact that lots of men, Americans in particular, love their guns and are passionate about it - go NRA!!!). Plus, we get to support our beloved Christian President and his Christian ideals.