Wednesday, April 27, 2005

My sunset rainbow

Yes, I got that pesky manuscript in the mail to my editor this morning. Now I can have a life again. I think I'll celebrate by raiding the white and purple lilac bushes in my back yard and filling the house with fragrant blooms.

Last night as I was proofreading the final draft of my manuscript, Number Two Son made a breathless phone call from a couple of miles away and told me to run to the kitchen door and look outside. It was just before sunset, and there was a spectacular rainbow in the eastern sky. Since the back of our house faces east, the rainbow started on one side of our woodsy back yard, arched high over the trees, and ended on the other side of the yard. It was an amazing sight. Even the violet band, the one most difficult to see, was beautifully obvious.

I had never seen a complete, vibrant rainbow at sunset, but I wrote about one in the book I just finished. So try to imagine my joy when just as I was giving that manuscript its final read-through and was almost to the "rainbow" scene at the end of the story, my kid called and we shared a sunset rainbow over the phone. Yes, I had the presence of mind to grab my digital camera, but got off only one almost-good shot. That photo is now sitting on my desk, and if it doesn't have much in the way of artistic merit, it will always hold enormous sentimental value for me. I'm very pleased with the way this book turned out, and after all the hard work I've put into it, I couldn't help but see that perfect rainbow as an affirmation from God.

Yes, I thought about posting the photo here. But I didn't think it would translate well to your computer sceen and I'd rather you imagine something magnificent (as it truly was) than see a dim photo and wonder what was so remarkable about it. You just had to be here, that's all.

And I'm so glad I was.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda, way too go, on getting your life back, and I got chills when you were talking about the rainbow, I can see it in my mind,
thanks for the pic.
jan

lindaruth said...

God is amazing isn't he. I've developed a new appreciation for sunrises, since I'm riding the van to work as the sun is coming up. Not being a morning person, I sometimes wish I wasn't seeing the sunrise, but God just keeps dazzling my eyes with them and I can't help but be glad.
Linda

Anonymous said...

There is just something so awesome about a rainbow, isn't there? I think it's because it's a promise from God during Noah's time, that He still sends today. We, too, had a beautiful "rainbow" moment years ago when I was a kid at home. My folks had just built the home of their dreams, and we were kneeling in the living room praying and dedicating the house to the Lord. When we looked out the window, over our pond against the backdrop of evergreen trees was the most phenomenal double rainbow I've ever seen...vivid, bright...and a benediction of sorts. Breathtaking! Becky J.

Brenda Coulter said...

I imagine quite a few of us have "rainbow stories." Thanks for sharing yours, Becky.